(Paul gets the best seat in the house for The Strokes)
We’re a man down this week in Downtown LA, since our resident music master Paul Leroy hopped a plane for Austin to run around with Tony Bones and check out the latest and greatest bands at SXSW. Do you hear them buzzing? As anyone who’s been to SXSW can tell you, there’s not a whole lot of downtime (or cabs) for several days so Paul has been texting us tidbits along the way.
The only way to roll in Austin
- The Strokes. No surprise, their super-packed show stunned. With their long-awaited album on the horizon, fans have been salivating for their return. If you weren’t lucky enough to see the show, Angles comes out on March 22. You can stream it now here.
- Twin Shadow, opener for The Strokes, was also of note even pre-SXSW as one of Spin’s must-see shows.
- Black Taxi, a band consistently lauded for its wide-ranging influences, at Brooklyn BBQ.
- The Dears. Despite some technical difficulties, the veterans from Montreal played an intense (abbreviated) set.
- Puro Instinct, LA babies - in fact sisters - and KCRW favorites, produced by another LA indie mainstay, Ariel Pink.